15 May 2021
**Please read our main Covid-19 statement at the top of this website.
**Please familiarise yourselves with the official NHS guidance on Covid-19.
**Do not travel to the event if you have Covid-19, if you are isolating, or showing symptoms of Covid-19.
We’ve been working hard behind the scenes to make sure Trackstar goes ahead in 2021. We are delighted to confirm that Trackstar will take place on Saturday 15 May 2021, in line with any restrictions or guidelines at the time. We have had to make a number of changes to the event to ensure Covid security. The changes are summarised in bullet-points at below.
Changes for Trackstar 2021
- Full marathon will be in lanes 1-3, based on lane 1 distance of 400 metres 105.5 laps. CONFIRMED
- Half marathon will be in lanes 4-6, based on lane 4 distance of 423 metres 49.9 laps. CONFIRMED
- Rolling starts CONFIRMED
- The full marathon will start FROM 9:30 – 9:50. CONFIRMED
- The half marathon will start once all of the marathon runners have started no earlier than 10:00 – 10:30. CONFIRMED
- The starts will be chip timed. You will be called to the start and fed on to the track in individuals or small groups if running with another person. There will be no order to the start, please be ready near the start at some point within the half-hour window of your race start. CONFIRMED
- Runners must be self sufficient in terms of water and fuel. Space will be set aside for you to set up a small table on the back straight. CONFIRMED
- We are not currently allowed to provide water or an aid station. TBC
- Registration will be outdoors. Face coverings must be worn at registration. CONFIRMED
- Hand sanitiser must be used after contact with another person or an item another person has handled. Such as when picking up your number and timing chip. CONFIRMED
- You MUST check in with the NHS app on arrival following a change to the rules on 12th April 2021. If you are unable to use the app, you MUST report to reception. CONFIRMED
- Spectators will not be allowed in the venue. CONFIRMED
- Though spectators are not allowed inside the venue, groups of up to 6 people are allowed to meet in public. There is good visibility of the track from outside the perimeter fence where you could spectate from a public place.
- No day entries. CONFIRMED
Things may still change between now and May, but hopefully for the better. We feel we are currently in a position to put on a safe and successful event as the overall picture improves.
Marathon & Half Marathon Entry
Following three successful Eastbourne Trackstar Marathons and a Covid cancellation, ‘We Run They Run I Run’ are back for Trackstar IV! For the first time in 2021 we are introducing a half marathon. By choosing something we’d quite like to have a go at ourselves (and indeed one of us did have a go in 2019), we are hoping to appeal to like minded runners, who want to run a challenging but fun marathon or half marathon on a standard 400 metre athletics track. “That’s a lot of laps!” I hear you say. However, with all the facilities you need to run a marathon or a half in one place, a playlist made up of songs from your requests and the opportunity to see your supporters every 400 metres, what’s not to like?!
- 105.5 laps (based on lane 1) / 49.9 laps (based on lane 4)
- Bespoke medal
- Chip timing with lap display on screen
- Traffic free athletics track made for running
- Stunning view of the South Downs!
- Free parking
- Race photos
- Tea & Coffee free for runners – served outdoors TBC
- Homemade cake TBC for 2021 – unlikely
- Limited to 80 runners per distance
- UKA/RunBritain MT Licence
- See your supporters each lap – from outside perimeter fence
- Your music playlist – request on entry form!!
- 7 hour cut off time
- Organised by runners
Eastbourne Sports Park, Cross Levels Way, Eastbourne, East Sussex
You MUST check in with the NHS app on arrival following a change to the rules on 12th April 2021. If you are unable to use the app, you MUST report to reception.
Only participants will be allowed in the facility.
The facility has toilets accessible from the track. Changing areas and showers will NOT be open. You will NOT be able to leave a bag in the building, the indoor areas will be open.
There is a free car park at Eastbourne Sports Park.
Registration will be outside at Eastbourne Sports Park. Please come through the main gates to the track. Registration will not open until 8:30am. Face coverings must be worn at registration.
You MUST check in with the NHS app on arrival following a change to the rules on 12th April 2021. If you are unable to use the app, you MUST report to reception. QR codes will be situated around the venue for you to scan.
Numbers and chips are to be collected on the day. ID may be required to ensure track and trace can be used if required. You must use hand sanitiser before and after collecting your number and chip. Nothing is posted. Final instructions will be emailed by the Thursday before the event.
There are toilets accessible from outdoors, a short distance from the track, please use these during the run if required. Remember to wash and sanitise your hands before and after touching facilities.
This one is quite easy to remember.
- The marathon takes place in lanes 1-3 and is based on the lane 1 distance of 400 metres. The marathon on the 200 metre start line, you will complete 195 metres followed by 105 full 400 metre laps!
- The half marathon takes place in lanes 4-6 and is based on the lane 4 distance of 423 metres. The half marathon starts at 40 metres ahead of the finish line on the home straight. You will complete 360 metres followed by 49 full 423 metre laps.
The run is in the usual anti-clockwise direction. There is no direction change.
The two races will separated by bright green rubber discs placed on the line between lanes 3 and 4.
- marathon – cross the purple finish timing mat 106 times
- half marathon – cross the purple finish timing mat 50 times
If you need to leave the track at any point during the race please leave and re-join at the designated point adjacent to the main gates.
Information & Briefing
Final instructions will be emailed on the Thursday before the event.
The run will start from 9:30am. Marathon runners will start between 9:30 and 9:50, half marathon runners will start between 10:00 and 10:30.
The starts will be chip timed. You will be called to the start and fed on to the track in individuals or small groups if running with another person. There will be no order to the start, please be ready near the start at some point within the half-hour window of your race start.
Listen out for PA system announcements. This event will be held under UK Athletics rules, a licenses have been applied for. The adjudicators decision is final.
We are encouraged to provide you with video briefings rather than face to face information. The video is broken down into 3 parts, or you can go big and watch it in one go!
Timing & Lap Counting
For Trackstar 2021 we are excited to announce that ‘What’s My Time?’ will be returning to provide you with chip timing. Lap counts are displayed on a big screen and printed result tickets are given at the finish.
We always recommend you have your own method of counting for your own peace of mind. It is your responsibility to know when you are on your last lap. Keep an eye on the screens or use the lap function on your watch. As you approach the finish, take the exit lane.
Do not rely on GPS distance. It is not accurate on the track and can over or under read!
Please bear in mind you will all be running at different speeds! We ask that you are considerate to all other participants, and just because someone isn’t going as fast as you, doesn’t mean they’re not on course for their own goal. Everyone has a right to the racing line when running, overtaking is on the right, it’s all part of the challenge! If you need to walk at any point, please move to the outer lanes. Please be mindful of social distancing when overtaking.
Personal Aid Stations
Runners can set up their own personal aid station on a table along the back straight. This must be adjacent to lane 1 for the marathon, and adjacent to lane 6 for the half marathon. Please set up far enough back so you can step off the track and be clear of the racing line.
Phoenix Medical will be in attendance on the day.
Please read the information on the Runner’s Medical Resource website. It is the most useful advice we have found on the subject.
Spectators are not allowed inside the venue due to the Covid-19 restrictions that will be in place.
Groups of up to 6 people are allowed to meet in public. There is good visibility of the track from outside the perimeter fence where you could spectate from a public place.
At the finish collect your bespoke medal, and bask in the glory that you have just done something very few people ever will! Please return your chip in the receptacle provided.
Our new clothing has launched at wtiruns.teemill.com
Not everyone wants a race t-shirt, so we don’t make you have one. However, if you do want a quality souvenir t-shirt or hoodie to remind you and your friends of our events, we have sourced a high quality clothing manufacturer to provide a range of clothing.
These are not cheap plastic “technical” t-shirts. Items are made from 100% organic cotton and produced in a factory powered by renewable energy. Products are vegan, printed to order and sent direct to you in plastic free packaging.
Entries have re-opened!
Marathon & Half Marathon Entry
Marathon £35/£33 + fee.
Half Marathon SOLD OUT
Please enter online in advance. There will not be any day entries.
When you enter you will be subscribed to our Trackstar mailing list, we recommend you stay on this list to receive your pre-run emails. You will be given the opportunity to subscribe to the ‘We Run They Run I Run’ mailing list to receive news and information on other events.
- Does Trackstar count for Good For Age qualification?
We can’t make that guarantee. It is unlikely. London require your qualifying marathon to be run on road. Other marathons have different schemes.
The following details may help when asking the organiser of the marathon you wish to use your Trackstar time for; Trackstar is run under a UKA / Run Britain MT licence. Details of Eastbourne’s track certification can be found here. Trackstar is chip timed with a professional system with video and manual counting as a backup.
- How does my Trackstar result appear on Power of 10 and RunBritain
- How does my Trackstar result appear on Power of 10 and RunBritain
Trackstar is held under a RunBritainMT (multi-terrain) licence. In simple terms, any race not on tarmac, concrete or pavement but held in the nature of a road race will be awarded the RunBritainMT licence.
Results of the race are automatically picked up by RunBritain and displayed in your profile.
This result is also sent to your Power of 10 profile. It will appear in your list of performances with the event type of “MarMT”, but it won’t show in your list of “Best known performances” as this list is reserved for road and track & field events.
- Can I get a refund, defer or swap to anther event?
Unfortunately we are not able to refund, defer or swap your entry to another event or category.
We do allow you to transfer your place to someone else. Please go to our transfers page for instructions.
The small scale of the event means it is very expensive per runner to put on. As an organiser we start to incur costs for the event from the moment the dates are booked. As the event draws closer ever increasing costs are incurred to the point where we cannot recover any of them, regardless of whether you run.
We operated a Covid voucher scheme for exceptional circumstances until 4th April 2021. This has now closed but you can transfer your entry to another runner until 8/05/2021
- Will it be crowded?
The first couple of laps will be busy, however it thins out quickly, and rolling starts will negate this. Please be considerate of all other competitors regardless of pace, and expect to overtake on the right. This should be considered part of the challenge.
M: 2:38:09 2018
F: 3:23:35 2018
Stay up to date…
You will find our most up to date information by liking our Facebook page, following us on Twitter and checking out our Instagram posts.
Need more info? Just ask…