As you are probably aware by now, the country is due to be impacted by a storm on Sunday.
This will impact our race, however, we have done everything we can for the many people contacting us hoping that the race will go ahead. The race is ON.
We have been on the course today to identify potential danger points. Whilst it will be extremely windy and wet, we have devised a contingency course that avoids our main concerns which are buildings, and the tide at splash point by the Redoubt.
Our modified route keeps all runners and marshals within a one mile radius, on a well defended and well maintained section of the seafront.
Our risk assessment has been updated. We strongly encourage you to read it. As with all our runs, you do take part at your own risk. It is your decision if you run.
3 simple, out and back laps starting in the same location.
• Start at Sovereign Water Works, keeping left, head south west on the promenade
• At 0.83 miles turn left to take the pedestrian switch back ramp down to the road, and turn immediately right and back up the access ramp, back up onto the promenade.
• Keeping left, head back to the start.
• At the cone a marshal will direct you to turn and repeat.
• Once you have completed 3 laps, keep left and cross the timing mat to finish.
If we have to make a last minute decision to cancel when we arrive on site, which we do not plan on doing, we are looking into alternative dates.
This is the last update on the situation unless our position changes, so assume the race is on.
09/02/2020 > 10:00 > Eastbourne Seafront > 5 mile chip timed road race> £16/£14 UKA affiliated + fee> Day entries £20
Following the popularity of the inaugural Eastbourne 5 mile road race, the event will return in 2020. It’s fast and flat along Eastbourne’s promenade. A perfect distance as you build up to half marathon season. The race has a full UKA road license and the course has been accurately measured. All finishers receive a bespoke medal. Upon entry we encourage you to make an optional donation to our preferred charities, St Wilfrid’s Hospice.
****NEW for 2020****
Eastbourne 5 will be chip timed!
Sovereign Water Works, Prince William Parade, Eastbourne BN23 6RT
There are minimal facilities here. There a free public toilets. We are unable to provide a secure bag drop.
Parking is pay and display. The charge was £1.50 for up to 4 hours when we last checked. There are 3 car parks in the immediate vicinity with a total of 99 spaces, Sovereign Park West Upper and Lower, and Sovereign Park East. We do not have exclusive use of these spaces so please car share or use an alternate means of travel as parking is limited. If parking on the street, please be considerate.
There are also car parks within ideal warm up distance at The Sovereign Centre (0.5 mile), Fort Fun (0.7 mile) and Fisherman’s Green (1.0 mile).
Eastbourne railway station is 2.5 miles away.
Registration will be in the undercover area next to the toilets from 8:30am. Numbers are collected on the day, ID will be required. Nothing is posted. Final instructions will be emailed by the Wednesday before the event.
There are public toilets at the start and at Fisherman’s Green (1.0 mile). There are also other public toilets on the route.
A simple, out and back course along Eastbourne seafront’s lower promenade. The start, finish and turnaround will be marked with cones. The course will be signed and marshaled.
- Start at Sovereign Water Works, head west on the promenade.
- At 0.8 miles turn right to take the wider ramp down to the road, and turn immediately left onto Fisherman’s Green going past the tennis courts.
- At 1 mile turn left up the slope to re-join the promenade.
- At 1.25 miles take a 90 degree left at the Redoubt Fortress, head towards the sea, then a 90 degree right shortly after.
- As you head towards the pier take care as the path narrows, stay on the lower promenade by keeping left where the path splits, and go under the pier at 1.9 miles.
- Go round the Bandstand to the left at 2.1 miles. Do not run through the bandstand, even if the doors are open!
- Continue past the Wish Tower, staying on the lower promenade until you reach the turnaround cone and marshal at 2.5 miles.
- You will retrace your steps all the way back to the finish.
Briefing & Information
The run briefing will be 15 minutes before the start next to start/finish. It is important you listen to the briefing in case of any changes or venue specific information. This event will be held under UK Athletics rules a full licence has been issued.
We do not have exclusive use of the path, please be mindful of other seafront users.
Please wear your bib number on your front, it must be on show at all times, and particularly at the finish.
The race will be chip timed by NETiming. Please keep the finish area clear to allow others to finish.
Phoenix Medical Services will be in attendance.
Water will be provided at the finish. If you feel you will need water during the run please carry your own.
Start Time: 10:00am
Course/Time Limit: 5 miles on Eastbourne Seafront’s promenade. 2 hour limit.
Entry Fee: £16/£14 + booking fee
Minimum age: 15
If you have not received your registration emails, please check your junk email folder and contact us.
When you enter you will be subscribed to our mailing list for this event. We recommend you stay on this list to receive your pre-run emails.
Why are you using Full On Sport? With an increasing number of events and entrants, our current in house solution was inflexible and taking too much time to administer. It is now a lot simpler for us to provide a secure entry experience. The downside is the administration fee, however we feel this is a small cost for a seamless entry experience, peace of mind and security.
This event is held under UK Athletics rules. Full licence: 2020-37738. Our licence allows runners aged 15 and over. The course has been accurately measured, 18/601.
Medical Risk Assessment